Often, changing distributor is like divorcing a partner.
One always thinks that it's the other one's fault.
It's all about managing expectations. 5 steps I follow👇🏻:
We tend to focus on the look and feel of that relationship but we rarely consider it that is based on shared values:
- do we want the same results from "our" brand in "their" market?
- are we aligned on the pace at which to build "our" brand?
- are we aligned in terms of mindset and ways of working?
- are we on the same company maturity / development?
- are we aligned in level of depth of reporting and frequency?
in a nutshell: are our expectations aligned?
It's easy to agree on a powerpoint vision. Less so when real life kicks in.
Contracts focus on hard factors.
Relationships fall-out on soft factors.
Divorces are also expensive…
Are you sure you will be better off?
Clear expectations, long friendship.