There are 2 approaches.
Imagine you run a pizzeria:
- You can hire the best pizzaiolo in town and rely 100% on him.
- You can hire the one with the best system to drive scale.
As an Italian living 16 years abroad, I'm always asked that question: Where’s the best pizza 🍕 in town?
It’s the silliest go-to icebreaker.
I kept changing answers following my fav pizzaiolo.
That made me realize how counterintuitive it is.
It’s all about consistency.
I wanna go where the outcome is always the same: a nice pizza.
❌ I don’t care about an outstanding one if I have to check:
- which pizzaiolo is working that day.
- if my friend, the owner is there.
- if the best pizzaiolo is having a day off.
✅ I wanna walk in and always get the taste I expect.
- regardless of who is making the pizza
- regardless of how crowded it is
- regardless of if he/she is having a bad day.
Now try to adapt it to your team.
You don’t want to hire the pizza star.
You need someone that does the job well, every single day.
Building a drinks brand is not 100 meters. It’s a marathon.
Get your system right.
Consistency => Performance.